Sunday, February 3, 2013

Trying to get educated

Let me just start by saying that I am shocked by how little I knew/know about wheat in any and all of its forms. I am trying to educate myself and I can honestly say that what I am learning makes so much sense, too much sense, that I can't believe I haven't stumbled across this until now.

Friday evening Mike got us electronic copies of the book "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD. I absolutely love ebooks. You buy them and you have them available immediately.  As a result, I have been reading this book since Friday evening and I just can't put it down.

The most important thing I have learned so far is not to replace wheat with gluten free products that are mainly made of starch (potato, rice, tapioca, etc) if weight loss is a goal.  WHY?  Because these types of starches are some of the very few foods that have a higher glycemix index than wheat. Slaps hand on forehead.  This should have been sooooooo obvious because these starches are a more easily digestible carbohydrate than wheat.  But it wasn't obvious at all.....Glad I am reading this book so early in my attempt to go gluten free, and now wheat free.  I don't want to gain weight and most gluten free foods will do just that because they are primarily made with high glycemix index ingredients.  I had even been warned by a friend and still fell for it.  SIGH!

The second most important thing I have learned so far is how much wheat can affect every cell in your body negatively and the long list of symptoms associated with even mild gluten intolerance, that are completely not associated with celiac, making gluten intolerance so hard to diagnose.  But based on what I am reading, if you have any pain or discomfort in your body, you should try eliminating gluten for 4 weeks to see how you feel.  If you feel an improvement then likely you have a gluten intolerance.  Why wait for an official diagnosis. Just take control.


No comments:

Post a Comment