Sunday, February 17, 2013

Home Made, Gluten Free, Triple Chocolate Pancakes

Pancakes are an obsession for me.  It is one weekend ritual I really look forward to all week. When Mike and I decided to try this 30 day Gluten Free Challenge, there were 3 food items we felt would make it difficult for us if we could not come up with tasty GF alternatives; sandwiches, pizza and pancakes.  The next challenge will be to make them healthier by omitting all/most of the starch.

Well....last weekend I did make a very good pizza and this weekend I made awesome pancakes.  If I didn't tell you they were gluten free I doubt that you would be able to tell. But don't take my word for it, try them for yourself.

I started by making my own Gluten Free All Purpose flour mix.
I'll need to work on this to decrease the starch, but this is what I used.

Home Made, Gluten Free All Purpose Flour

3 cups brown rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch

Mix it all up and put in an air tight container.

Pancakes.

Mix together dry ingredients.
1 1/4 cups Gluten Free AP flour
1 tablespoon sugar (or substitute)
1 Tablespoon GF Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Xantham Gum (will try with less or even without next time as the pancakes were very thick)

Mix together wet ingredients.
1 1/4 cups milk (plain, chocolate, etc. You could even try alternative milks such as almond or rice). I used reduced fat chocolate milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly.
Add whatever add ins you like, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.  I used Ghirardelli mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.

Mix wet and dry ingredients together and let sit for while your pan/griddle heats up.

Cook like regular pancakes.


Note that mine were very thick and so they didn't get the telltale bubbles that pancakes normally get telling you when to flip so I guessed.  I cooked mine at 325F for about 4 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side.  I usually test to see if they are done by poking them lightly.  If they spring back they are cooked.

Next challenge....making these healthy.

Sorry, no picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment